Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Ziploc omelet... yes you read that right!

Ok, so Carter just got over being sick for about a week,and Nick was pretty much gone that whole time! Not a lot of grocery shopping... ok, none went on during that time! Well, now my sweet boy is finally better! But, still no grocery shopping has happened! I went to the fridge tonight to figure out what in the world I could find for dinner,and let me tell you, I thought my kids would be eating Lunchables for dinner... AGAIN! That's when I remembered, someone had sent me an email about making omelet's in a Ziploc bag! I thought it sounded crazy, but tonight with only Lunchables in the house, I was desperate! So, I took the ham and cheese out of the Lunchables and chopped them up,along with some green onion,and followed the instructions from the email! All you do is add 2 eggs to a Ziploc bag ( I cracked them into a bowl first,and beat them with a fork.) and then you add whatever else you like in an omelet, ham, cheese,onion, hashbrowns,whatever your heart desires...or in my case whatever you have in the fridge! Seal up the bag making sure all the air is out,and shake! Add the bags (it says you can do about 6 to a pot I think, but I only needed 3) to a large pot of boiling water and cook for 13-15 minutes! Then they just roll right out of the bag! (It's probably easiest to cut off the top of the bag) I topped them with salsa and sour cream. I was STILL very skeptical! I took 1 bite, and had to laugh, because it was pretty good! In the email, it said that you could add everything to the bags the night before and put them in the fridge to have them ready for the AM, so you can go about your morning routine,and then you have breakfast in minutes! (Or in my case dinner!) It also talked about how you can write each persons name on their bag,that way if you like different things in your omelet, you know who's is who's...very clever! And it saved my kids from eating Lunchables... AGAIN! :) If you are interested I can send you the email...just in case I messed something up :)

1 comment:

lisa said...

i've heard of this. clever idea! wouldn't work for us as jack has an egg white allergy though. we've had a lot of lunchable meals lately too ;)